CompetenceZone.co.nz | Auckland NZ motorcycle licence training. Basic Handling Skills to Advanced Lessons
This is where you will find all the information you need about motorcycle training and licencing.
Basic Handling Skills: (BHS)
This is the first step in attaining your motorcycle license. Before you sit your learner theory test you must pass the basic handling assessment. This is a practical riding assessment carried out in a safe riding environment.
We provide the bike, gear and training. You need to present identification (driver licence, or Bank Card, or similar), and present yourself in closed shoes, Long pants, and a suitable jacket. You must be able to ride a bicycle competently before booking this course.
Choose from the options below:
- BHS for beginners (2.5hrs) – This option is for riders who have no riding experience at all. Training offered in this course starts with an introduction to the motorcycle controls and their proper use and progresses to the assessment stage. You must be able to ride a bicycle competently before booking this course. The course duration is up to 2.5 hrs including the assessment. Price: $ 300.00
- Basic handling (2 hrs)– This course is for riders who are not confident with their riding experience on a manual motorcycle because their use of the manual controls are not yet fluent. You must be able to dive a manual car competently. Comprised of up to 100 minutes of training and 20 minutes test time. Price: $270.00
- BHS for experienced riders (1.5hrs) – This option is for riders who have experience with clutch and gears on a motorcycle. Training offered in this course is geared to those who have somewhat reasonable but not perfect control of a motorcycle with clutch and gears. The course duration including the assessment is up to 1.5 hours. Price:$220.00
- BHS for very experienced riders (1 hr)– Please note that the total duration of this course has been reduced and you must have good control of a manual motorcycle. This course is geared to those looking for practice on the actual assessment criteria before sitting the test. The course is comprised of up to 40 minutes of training and 20 minutes test time. Price: $190.00
- BHS Test Only – This option is for riders who are confident that their competence level is already at assessment stage. Please read this information and watch this VIDEO before booking this option. Please note, no training is offered with this option and the total duration (including debrief and paperwork) is up to 45 minutes. Price: $170.00
Restricted License: (6- R)
This is a practical assessment conducted on urban (lower speed) as well as rural (higher speed) roads. The duration of this assessment is 1 hr. This assessment is conducted on a 1 on 1 basis with Competence Zone’s instructor. 6R test only. Price: $ 240.00
It is recommended that some coaching is undertaken before sitting this assessment. It is not necessary to attend a full day (8 hr) group course. Competence Zone offers coaching on a 1 on 1 basis. Buy our CBTA -R Pack which includes up to 2 hrs of coaching and 1hr assessment. Price: $ 390.00
Please read the CBTA Course guide.
Full License: (6- F)
This is a practical riding assessment conducted on a 1 on 1 basis with Competence Zone’s motorcycle instructor. You must have held your restricted licence for a minimum period of 9 months. The duration of this assessment is 30 minutes. Price: $180.00
It is recommended that some coaching is undertaken before sitting this assessment. It is not necessary to attend a full day (8 hr) group course. Competence Zone offers coaching on a 1 on 1 basis. Buy our CBTA -F Pack which includes up to 1.5 hrs of coaching and 30 minute assessment. Price: $290.00
Please read the CBTA Course guide.
Ride Forever Courses:
To book your RIDE FOREVER courses please call or text Neil directly on
022 098 0602.
Premium coaching is aimed specifically to your needs. So discuss your needs with our instructor and your coaching will be tailored according to your goals. Book your coaching according to your affordability, your time constraints, or even your stamina and concentration ability. In other words learn at your own pace.
Newly qualified Learners: – Lacking the confidence of riding on public roads for the first time? Premium coaching will help you gain that confidence. Our instructor will coach you on a 1 on 1 basis and ensure your riding progresses toward gaining your CBTA-R and improving rider confidence. Price: $ 135.00 per hour (min 2hrs)
Preparing for CBTA -R or CBTA-F: – Don’t have the time to attend a full day (8hr) course? Can’t learn in a group situation? Need individualised planned coaching? This can be sorted with our 1 on 1 coaching sessions. Our instructor will always progress your riding toward your next level of licencing and at your pace. Price: $135.00 per hour (min 2hrs).
Returning Riders: – A little low on confidence? Need a bit of a technique refresher? No matter your difficulty; our 1 on 1 premium coaching will solve your problems and make you a safe confident rider again. Price $135.00 per hour (min 2hrs).
Advanced Riding: – Want to affiliate yourself with advanced riding associations such as the IAM? Not sure what their initial ride assesses? Want to become an associate member? You’ve come to right place. Our Instructor is an associate member of the IAM (motorcycle), and can tailor your coaching accordingly. Price: $135.00 per hour (min 2hrs).